Rich Butkevic | Project Management & Leadership
Rich Butkevic offers a unique combination of leadership positions in project and product management, quality assurance, business analysis, marketing, and training. Demonstrated expertise in managing multiple functional areas both domestically and offshore. Excels at utilizing Agile and SCRUM methodologies for large enterprise level projects across diverse industries. Practical knowledge of a wide variety of applications including QuickTest Professional, WinRunner, LoadRunner, Test Director, Axosoft, PractiTest, Team Foundation Server, SharePoint, MS Project, MS Office Suite, Rational Tools, and Remedy. Particular expertise in PMO process development, cloud infrastructure, web development, Energy Management Information Systems, Electronic Billing and Payment Processing (EBPP) solutions, Content Management Systems (CMS), Learning Management Systems (LMS), CRM applications, and more. Certified Project Management Professional as awarded by the Project Management Institute, Certified Scrum Master as awarded by the Scrum Alliance, IBM Certified Specialist in Rational Unified Process, AWS Certified Developer as awarded by Amazon Web Services, HubSpot Inbound Certified, and Certified E-Marketer, awarded by the E-Marketing Association.
Quartz Health Solutions, Inc. – Madison, WI
2017 – Current
- Manage the decommissioning of all Amisys based applications and the transition to the Epic Tapestry health care system.
- Worked with vendors, marketing, and stakeholders to migrate Gundersen Health Plan DotNetNuke (DNN) based website and infrastructure to Quartz Sitefinity environment.
- Managed the development, testing, configuration, and deployment of the Cerner Wellness Platform to all employees and external customers.
- Migrated all sales workflows and data from ACT! Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) to Microsoft Dynamics CRM hosted on the Azure cloud.
- Ensured an uninterrupted workflow for operational staff during post-acquisition transition of Physicians Plus intranet content to Quartz intranet.
- Consolidated five health care websites into a single website to allow a full transition to the newly established Quartz brand and an improved experience for customers, agents, and providers.
- Managed the creation and distribution of multiple RFP’s and the subsequent vendor selection processes.
Madison Gas and Electric – Madison, WI
2014 – 2017
- Successfully managed the implementation of the Kubra Electronic Billing and Payment Processing (EBPP) solution, which provided the ability for customers to view, manage, and pay bills online and required integration with multiple backend systems.
- Responsible for the development of Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) and both developing and managing the vendor selection process.
- Assessed existing process for the management of environmental and regulatory data, defined requirements, and created a RFP to utilize a commercial Environmental Management Information System (EMIS).
- Managed the upgrade of the MGE Energy Management System (EMS) application and the transition of the EMS infrastructure to a virtual environment.
- Worked with IT, the accounting team, and multiple vendors while managing the upgrade of the PowerPlan financial suite.
- Ensured continued NERC CIP compliance by managing a joint MGE Security and vendor assessment of all firewall rules, conducting remediation, and improving security change control processes.
- Worked with Marketing, Web Services team, and Gartner analysts to develop RFP for the procurement and implementation of a Content Management System (CMS) to replace outdated customer facing websites.
- Worked with a wide variety of business and technical stakeholders throughout the enterprise to develop requirements, RFP, and onboard vendor for the implementation of the Cornerstone OnDemand Learning Management System (LMS) and its integration with the existing Kronos application.
- Improved process maturity by recognizing the need for, procuring, and configuring test management tools which enabled accurate management reporting, monitoring of critical defects throughout the development lifecycle, and allowed for the enforcement of change control procedures.
- Assisted in the development of organizational change management processes, controls, and documentation, and worked with both IT and Business Partners to successfully implement its use during an active project for the first time within the organization.
- Utilized my expertise as a Certified Scrum Master to coach and mentor the IT team and Business Partners in Scrum/Agile development practices and effectively introduced them into an in-flight high-visibility project, resulting in more accurate schedule projections and resource utilization within the portfolio.
- Successfully delivered a critical infrastructure project that migrated the entirety of the web environment to the Microsoft Azure Cloud, leading to dramatic cost-savings, great security controls, and the ability for infrastructure automation.
- Developed strong relationships with Business Partners and demonstrated effective communication skills which led to faster decision making and willingness to support the introduction and enforcement of project controls.
- Led multiple User Acceptance Testing workshops with Business Partners to train staff on testing best practices, effective development of use cases, test cases, and test scripts, defect tracking, and their role in the development workflow during testing.
- Demonstrated ability working successfully on multiple $1M+ budget projects while simultaneously maintaining high quality standards.
CUNA Mutual Group – Madison, WI
2012 – 2014
- Managing both PMO governed and non-governed projects within the Legal, Ethics, and Compliance business areas and ensuring compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Led the effort to successfully document and streamline the workflow of the Property and Casualty business area to enable the transition to custom web tools and the sunsetting of the Oracle Compliance Tracker application.
- Introducing the project and IT development team to Agile methodologies and best practices for success in an iterative environment.
- Led the in-house rebuild of a business critical software application that ensures regulatory compliance is maintained throughout the enterprise. The rebuild included transitioning the system from a stand-alone desktop application to a .NET web based tool and redesigning the system from the ground up to optimize the workflow of the users and gain efficiencies which permitted a reduction in full time staff.
- Developed and presented a Program Management methodology that would allow the business area to better manage the portfolio of functional projects and provide greatly increased visibility and predictability for the executive leadership team.
- Worked simultaneously as a Project Manager and Business Analyst to elicit and document all necessary business and functional requirements documents for the rebuild of a critical application and its integration with external NAIC SERFF systems which allows the organization to respond to regulatory Market Conduct Exams successfully.
- Quickly transitioned a complex project from an outgoing Project Manager during a time-sensitive stage and successfully met all deadlines, which allowed substantial project costs to be accrued in the current calendar year.
- Led the development of RFP’s for Enterprise level application and infrastructure projects and managed the vendor selection and onboarding process.
- Managed the installation and configuration of Enterprise level third-party packaged eDiscovery tools, including all necessary infrastructure enhancements, to allow internal auditors and corporate general counsel to more efficiently and effectively execute Legal Holds during investigations or litigation.
- Assisted IT by producing application UI design specifications and designing interface mock-ups that would support the Agile framework and optimize the workflow of the Rate and Form filers in the Life, Health, Annuity, Payment Protection, and Property and Casualty business areas responsible for regulatory compliance.
Evolution 2 Technology – Houston, TX
2010 – 2012
- Managed high visibility internal and external projects from inception to completion while simultaneously leading and mentoring a team of onshore and offshore project managers in project management, business analysis, quality assurance, and development.
- Provided technical direction and led infrastructure team through major transition to AWS Cloud to support application scalability and minimize downtime.
- Developed and integrated both Agile and PMP project management methodologies, processes, and artifacts into PMO to dramatically improve project predictability and adherence to schedule and budget.
- Improved SDLC by implementing an iterative Agile development process and gaining flexibility to successfully respond to changing requirements and stakeholder needs.
- Managed application development projects utilizing a wide variety of technologies and infrastructure needs including global content distribution.
- Enforced process and procedural controls throughout IT, both during the development life cycle as well as operationally as part of ongoing application support.
- Conducted usability testing to ensure deliverables were optimized for end users and to document and improve design and development standards.
- Led cross-functional team to formally document and enhance organizational processes, including project management, development, quality assurance, business analysis, data management and integrity, change control, and procurement.
- Responsible for the hiring, supervision, development, and performance management of all IT staff and vendors.
Titan Management Group – Nashville, TN
Senior Project Manager
2007 – 2010
- Managed multiple Agile software projects from inception to completion to ensure nationwide network of underground fuel storage tanks were in regulatory compliance with Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards.
- Led geographically distributed team, both onshore and offshore, through integration with current applications.
- Managed creation of custom, multi-million dollar green field application, which included both web and Windows components working seamlessly across national secure WAN.
- Utilized iterative development methodology (RUP) to gain benefits in productivity and efficiency, as well as continuous stakeholder feedback, resulting in enhanced flexibility to changing requirements and business needs / priorities.
- Responsible for the hiring and supervision of all necessary staff, vendors, and tools, and negotiated all contracts on behalf of client.
- Conducted performance reviews for entire IT staff on a quarterly basis.
- Prepared and presented business cases on an ongoing basis.
- Established formal processes around entire development organization to better integrate with CMM Level 5 partners.
- Managed all development, business analysis, and quality assurance resources during development of external customer facing critical applications for multiple large clients.
- Responsible for 8-15 direct reports while reporting directly to CIO.
License Technologies Group – Buffalo Grove, IL
Manager of Customer Engagement
2005 – 2007
- Managed all quality assurance, business analysis, project and portfolio management, and engagement management for a global provider of license management and e-commerce for Fortune 50 companies.
- Responsible for hiring, supervision, development, and performance management of 12-15 direct reports onshore and 4-8 offshore while reporting directly to CEO.
- Dramatically increased quality of deliverables by implementing automated tools and driving standardization across the organization while simultaneously decreasing time to market.
- Built and maintained excellent relationships with current and prospective customers.
- Reduced costs and provided value to customers by automating multiple aspects of the business and increasing organizational focus on self-service product features.
- Led team that performed SWOT and competitive analysis to determine product direction and pricing.
- Responsible for formalizing and documenting process and methodology across the development life cycle, with the goal of Capability Maturity Model (CMM) assessment and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Pioneered QA and BA process.
- Led RAD/JAD sessions with internal and external stakeholders to efficiently and accurately identify requirements for high visibility projects.
- Conducted performance reviews for all project managers, business analysts, and quality assurance resources on a quarterly basis.
- Ensured infrastructure stability and scalability by managing performance, load, and stress testing during rapid growth and global product releases on behalf of clients such as Microsoft, Adobe, VMWare, and other major software publishers.
- Set project timelines, selected team members, and assigned work assignments to ensure successful implementation within budgetary constraints.
- Developed training curriculum for all applications and processes under my direction, which were used globally for all employees and many clients.
JP Morgan Chase – Chicago, IL
Manager of IT Quality Assurance
- Led quality assurance team responsible for all aspects of testing new proprietary CRM used for all commercial accounts globally.
- Enhanced Mercury application usage to expedite testing and ensure quality results.
- Performed testing on mainframe applications responsible for all consumer accounts worldwide.
SBC/AT&T – Hoffman Estates, IL
Area Manager-System Mechanization
2000 – 2004
- Managed team responsible for the development of software from requirements to implementation that directly affected over 10,000 internal and external users.
- Responsible for the project management and testing of initiatives, which were documented to have impacts of approximately $15 million.
- Developed and assessed business cases for risk/benefit analysis.
- Gathered and authored requirements for all projects impacting SBC Internet ordering interface during 2002 which increased sales by $12 million annually.
- Developed test plans and timelines for a wide variety of projects across the enterprise including client/server applications, web development, and Remedy ordering system.
- Created and presented a national seminar for the company to educate managers on QA best practices and processes.
- Designed QA strategy and trained employees of departments beginning a formal quality assurance program.
- Extensive experience in managing UAT, regression testing, production testing, change management, and defect management in a regulated environment.
- Authored and maintained user manuals for national ordering system.
- Assisted with UI design of web ordering interface for SBC/Yahoo! DSL to best suit marketing strategy.
- Analyzed issues relating to DSL ordering and was primary contact for all customers including AOL, DirectTV, and Earthlink.
AT&T Cable Services – Elmhurst, IL
Technical Specialist – High Speed Data
1999 – 2000
- Trained employees in the function and repair of broadband Internet access.
- Resolved customer issues relating to WAN or LAN configuration.
- Expanded communication and customer service expertise in a technical environment.
Trase Miller Interactive – Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Help Desk Coordinator
1998 – 1999
- Supervised over 50 call center employees for efficiency, motivation, and communication skills.
- Interacted frequently with customers in a sales and customer service capacity as well as with technical assistance.
- Played a key role in restructuring of the organization while shifting emphasis to electronic commerce and Internet support.
Skills and Expertise
- Project and Program Management
- PMO Process Improvement
- Product Management
- Agile and SCRUM Methodologies
- Cloud Infrastructure
- Quality Assurance
- Test Automation
- Business Analysis
- Change Management
- Offshore Development
- MS Project
- Team Foundation Server
- Rational Tools
- Energy Management Information Systems
- Compliance Management Systems
- Electronic Billing and Payment Processing (EBPP)
- CRM applications
- Content Management Systems
- Learning Management Systems (LMS)
DeVry Institute of Technology – BS, Telecommunications Management, 2000
Founder and group leader of Wisconsin Agile & Scrum Practitioners
Author of Project Zendo
Facilitator of The Art of PMO Workshops
Featured on the Digital Project Manager Podcast